Days are longer, kids are out of school, and the whole world seems to slow down just a little bit. It’s summertime in Utah and it’s the perfect time to have backyard picnics, family reunions, and celebrate with friends. At Utah Orthodontic Care, our doctors and staff want you to enjoy all of the tastes of summer while still taking care of your braces or ClearCorrect™ products. So, we’ve prepared these healthy summer recipes just for our braces and Invisalign friends!
Pepperoni Pizza Wrap
This healthy family favorite from the Food Network’s “Hungry Girl” will have all of your kids running for the dinner table.
- 1 stick light string cheese
- 1 medium-large high-fiber flour tortilla with about 110 calories
- 2 tablespoons pizza sauce
- Dash Italian seasoning
- Dash garlic powder
- Dash onion powder
- 1/4 cup chopped spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup canned stewed tomatoes, roughly chopped, patted dry
- 1 teaspoon reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping
- 6 pieces turkey pepperoni, chopped
- Set toaster oven to highest setting.
- Break string cheese into thirds and put in a blender or food processor-blend at high speed until cheese takes on a shredded or grated consistency. (Or just tear string cheese into pieces and roughly chop.) Set aside.
- Place tortilla on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 10 seconds, or until just warm. Evenly spread sauce onto the center of the tortilla, and sprinkle with a dash of each of the spices. Top with spinach, stewed tomatoes, Parm-style topping, chopped turkey pepperoni, and shredded/grated string cheese.
- Wrap tortilla up like a burrito, folding the sides in first, and then rolling it up from the bottom. Place wrap on a microwave-safe plate, seam side down, and warm in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Transfer wrap to the toaster oven and cook until hot on the inside and slightly crisp on the outside, about 3 minutes. Dig in!
PER SERVING (entire recipe): 234 calories, 7.5g fat, 1,083mg sodium, 32g carbs, 7.5g fiber, 5.5g sugars, 16.5g protein
Creamy Pineapple Berry Smoothie
This super-easy, fun layered smoothie from roxyskitchen.com only has four ingredients, but it’s packed with a load of vitamins and healthy drinking.
- 1 pineapple, cut into chunks & half of them frozen
- 1 cup (150 g) frozen strawberries,
- 1 cup (150 g) frozen raspberries
- 3 scoops frozen vanilla yogurt
- Blend strawberries, raspberries and one scoop frozen yogurt until smooth, pulsing as needed. You might need to scrape down the sides of the blender a few times. Pour into glasses.
- Blend the pineapple chunks and the remaining frozen yogurt.
- Pour into glasses and serve immediately.
We can’t wait to hear how your family and friends love these recipes! Let us know on your next visit to Utah Orthodontics. If you have any questions, feel free to call us at 1-801-999-4431, reach out to us at our contact page, or use our convenient online form to schedule a complimentary consultation at any one of our Wasatch Front locations.